Dr. C. Palanivelu MS, MCh, DNB, FACS, FRCS(Hon) Ed.
The Medical Icon…. Dr. C. Palanivelu
The blessed child of humble agriculturists, employed at a palm oil estate in Malaysia. Loads of patriotism brought him back to India, in 1967. Completed school education at the age of 21.
DEVELOPING LAPAROSCOPIC SURGERY – THE MOST WANTED FOR INDIAN
He became the first surgeon in South India to introduce laparoscopic surgery and instrumental for developing advanced Laparoscopic surgery in India, a revolutionary concept in surgical treatment. By being less morbid enabling faster recovery, is a boon for agriculturists or labourers
MAKING LAPAROSCOPY AFFORDABLE AND ACCESSIBLE:
He’s the innovator for many newer laparoscopic surgical techniques including cancer and developing laparoscopic surgery as a specialty and affordable to all ,irrespective of socio economic status.
He was given the Best Doctor Award by Government of Tamil Nadu for the year 2015 recognising his contribution to the field of Laparoscopic surgery.
He’s also been awarded with the Dr BC Roy National award under the category of ‘Development of specialities’ namely ‘Laparoscopic Surgery’ in the year 2006.
THE FIRST INDIAN
- Privileged to operate and to teach in UK, USA, Latin America, China, Korea and Europe without any formal training in their respective countries.
- In the world, to perform complete Laparoscopic Whipple surgery, most complex surgery in the GI tract for the treatment of Cancer Pancreas.
- To win Silver Medal, at International Olympics for Surgery in laparoscopic surgery, held at Phoenix, Texas, first ever in the history of surgery.
- To win ‘ Best Video Award’ in World congress of Esophagus Japan 2010 and in EAES ( European Association of Surgeons), Stockholm, 2008
- To win ‘ International Best Video Award’ in American College of Surgeons for Stomach cancer, New Orleans US 2007
- Many innovative surgical videos in the Official webpage of Royal College of Surgeons ,Edinburgh, UK
- Course Director in Japan Society of Endoscopic Surgery and Laparoscopic Surgery for Pancreatic & Oesophageal cancer
- To publish surgical textbooks, in many languages, including English, Spanish and Chinese.His TEXTBOOK ON LAPAROSCOPY has been considered as the BIBLE FOR LAPAROSCOPY.
INNOVATIVE OPERATIONS : WORLD LEARNT FROM DR. C. PALANIVELU
- Palanivelu’s prone technique for Thoracic Laparoscopic Oesophagectomy followed globally as ‘The Standard Technique’
- Laparoscopic resection for pancreatic cancer, first to perform & largest series published in the world.
- Palanivelu’s Hydatid Trocar System for Hydatid Cyst Liver Excision.
- SAGES(US) Award Winner – for Single Incision Colorectal Cancer Resection.
- Laparoscopic Mesh Repair for Incisional Hernia with primary closure of defect
- SAGES Award and First Prize Winner – Duodeno Jejunal Bypass operation for uncontrolled Diabetes Mellitus
- Dr. B.C.Roy National Award, for Development of Specialty -“Laparoscopic Surgery”, from President of India , in 2006.
- “Outstanding Scientific Contribution” ( Best Paper Award ) – ELSA Oral Presentation Award, Rome, in 1998.
- “ Best Technique Award”, World Congress of Oesophagus, ISDE, Japan, 2010.
- Honorary Fellowship Award, “Honorio Causa” of University of San Americas, Peru, the oldest university of Latin America, 2012.
- “Award of Fellowship Ad-Hominum”, Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburg, UK 2004.
- Honoris Causa – Doctorate of Health Science by Anglia Ruskin university Oxford UK 2015.
- Honorary Fellowship by European Society of Endoscopic Surgeons 2014 and nominated as top two Great contributor in the field of minimal access surgery in the world.
- “ Gold Medal” in honour significant contribution for development of surgery by Kazhaskhan National Association of Medicine.
- 24 Best Outstanding Videos – American College of Surgeons, SAGES University, Royal College of Surgeons, Edinburgh, UK and across the globe.
- Laparoscopic Surgeries for Carcinoma Oesophagus, Cancer Pancreas, Carcinoma Stomach, Colonic Resection for Cancer of Colon, Rectum and Anus.
- Laparoscopic Modified Cholecystectomy in Gall stone Disease, Choledocal Cyst Excision.
- Visiting professor and faculty to many universities in various countries.
TEACHER PAR EXCELLENCE
- ‘ BEESMACHARIAR’ Title awarded by the Association of Minimal Access Surgeons of India (AMASI)
- Dr. Palanivelu’s LIVE Workshops are highly popular due to skill of Operational Explanation.
- Faculty to most of the World Congresses of Specialties in Gastroenterology and Honarary Visiting Professor to Universities, across the globe.
- As the Course Director for AMASI, has conducted around 35 Skill Courses, Nationwide.
LEADER FOR SURGEONS
- Founder President – AMASI, Association of Minimal Access Surgeons of India.
- Founder president – ISES, Indian Society for diseases of Esophagus and Stomach
- President, ASI – Association of Surgeons of India, 2007
- Chairman, Fellowship in MAS, Minimal Access Surgery training programme
RESEARCH AND PUBLICATIONS
- Published about 140 Original Articles in the leading International Journals.
- Presented over 250 research papers in various international conferences.
AS A SOCIAL ACTIVIST
- “Fine Feather Foundation” , a Non Governmental Organisation, afiiliated to GEM Hospital and Research Centre, was inaugurated by actor Mr. Sivakumar,
- Crutches to Handicapped children joint effort GEM LION club international and – Brahmos Aerospace, New Delhi, provided crutches to poor children. Mr.A.Sivathanu Pillai, Chief Controller R&D- DRDO, Ministry of Defence initiated the programme
- GEM Cancer Awareness Initiative programme by Dr APJ Abdul Kalam.
- Conducted around 100 Free Medical Camps, in and around TamilNadu, related to Gastro Intestinal Disorders.
- Mobile clinic to ‘Reach the unreached’ free consultation and diagnostic facility at remote villages.
- First time Gastro Expo was conducted creating awareness among the public.